Monday, February 13, 2012

I {heart} You

I have never been one to make Valentine's Day a big deal but since having the kiddos I try to do inexpensive cute little things to celebrate, like buying some of my hubby's favorite candies, doing a cute craft, or making a special meal they all love. Unfortunately this Vday I have classes all night so we won't really have time to do any celebrating on the actual day so this past weekend I made a special little breakfast for them; Homemade Heart Donuts. They are delicious, inexpensive, cute, and kid approved. So I thought I would share it with you.


Heart Donuts:




Ingredients:
  1. Bisquick Homestyle Grands Biscuits
  2. Heart shaped Cookie Cutter
  3. Oil of choice (I use vegetable oil)
  4. Powdered sugar
  5. Brown Sugar
  6. Cinnamon
  7. 2 brown paper lunch bags
  8. Wooden spoon

Directions:

  1. Put about 1 1/2 to 2" of oil in a large high-sided skillet and heat on medium heat.
  2. Separate biscuits and let stand at room temperature for about 10 mins.
  3. Take cookie cutter and cut biscuits into heart shapes 
  4. Take the excess dough and make into small round balls ( will make little munchkin type donuts)
  5. Check to see if oil is hot enough (if you are like me and don't have any fancy things to check the temp of the oil and easy way is to take the handle of a wooden spoon and place in the oil if the oil rapidly bubbles around the wooden spoon it is hot enough and ready to start frying)
  6. Place 3 donuts and a few "munchkin" donuts in the pan for about 1.5 - 2 minutes until nice golden color and then flip (I use a pair of tongs) over and let fry up for another 1.5-2 minutes.
  7. Place on a paper towel lined cookie rack
  8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for remainder of the donuts.
  9. Now its time for toppings! I used brown sugar/cinnamon and powdered sugar but you can use glaze, melted chocolate, sprinkles, anything you want.
  10. Put a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon or powdered sugar in a brown lunch bag and place a couple donuts in and close up back and shake shake shake.
  11. Remove donuts 
  12. Continue finishing other donuts with your favorite toppings
  13. Enjoy your special Valentine Treat!
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Donuts


Kid Approved



































Wishing you all a Valentine's Day full of love, hugs, and giggles.

<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment