Sunday, May 5, 2013

A little Pinspiration: Inexpensive and Easy Kitchen Wall Art

My husband and I are major DIYers when it comes to updating our home. We recently began to tackle the first half of our kitchen.  Here is a quick peek of what it looked like before...


Need I say more of why we wanted to tackle this?

My husband's grandfather built this house in 1951 and we were lucky enough to be looking to purchase a home at the right time to be able to keep this lovely home in the family :) When you look back at pictures of family events here in the 70's, sadly it pretty much looks exactly the same. Our family spends a lot of time in this room whether it be meals together, playing games, baking, art projects, homework, etc.. and I just hit a point where I could not look at paneling on top of paneling anymore. So...
Paneling came down, Sheetrock went up, walls got spackled, primed, and painted and here is the result...

I am IN LOVE with retro inspired aqua and red kitchens, but knowing myself and realizing I have painted some rooms approximately 3-5 times in the 8 years we have lived here :) I knew I couldn't go as bold as aqua or red walls. So I picked a neutral wall color (Benjamin Moore-Shaker Beige) and decided I would add the pops of red and aqua as accents so that way if I ever stopped being IN LOVE with retro (highly unlikely) I could easily make the changes without repainting :)  [Side note: Smitten with my red door]

This weekend was absolutely beautiful and my daughter unfortunately has had a cold/fever thing going on so I thought what could be better than doing a little art project when you are stuck at home? Whenever I need a bit of inspiration I head on over to Pinterest and this time I found this lovely gem of an idea for wall art from Homespun With Love (click link for DIY directions-)...

Homespun with Love

Could it get any better than black and white vintage prints and red frames?! The only way I could see was by adding some touch of aqua. I headed over to Michael's and to my luck the frames were 40% off!!, add some paint (we used acrylic paint not spray paint like directions say), and brushes to my order and you have an under $20 for 4 frames art project, SWEET!

Here is a peek at our finished project...



I could not be happier with the final outcome. The perfect touch of retro and a great day out in the sunshine painting with my little girl.

Hope this brings some inspiration in to your home :)

<3 Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment